Friday 7 March 2014

Equipment overview - Part 1

Cameras & lenses

This is list of all my equipment, even on an extended trip I wouldn't take it all. I like to travel as light as possible and on most shoots will generally take 2 to 3 lenses and 1 body.



Cameras:

  • Canon 5d mk2 - my main workhorse purchased in 2012. Great camera all I would change is weather sealing, 100% viewfinder and a few more stops dynamic range.
  • Canon 5d - my first DSLR bought back in 2006, great camera only let down by a poor lcd.
  • 400d - bought as a backup to my 5d when I was doing weddings. Hardly been used, but I'm keen to use it for time lapse when I get the chance.

Lenses:

  • Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 - my general walk around lens, fast sharp (when stopped down a little) light weight and cheap. Focusing is a little slow and the build quality isn't up to Canon L series, but for landscapes from f8 to f16 it's sharper than my Canon offerings. 
  • Canon 17-40mm f4 - good for wide angle work when stopped down a little, but probably the least sharp of my lens collection.
  • Canon 70-200mm f4 - great zoom range, sharp and it's the lightest 70-200 in the range. 
  • Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro - great little compact macro, focus is poor and does a lot of hunting, but I usually use it in manual mode. If I were buying again I would probably have gone for the Canon 100mm macro. The sigma is much cheaper and is tack sharp.
  • Zuiko 50mm f1.8 - fantastic tiny cheap lens, everything is manual although I do get focus confirmation via a Big-Is OM-EOS adapter. I picked my copy up on eBay for £40.
  • Zuiko 135mm f2.8 - another Zuiko gem, cheap small and great bokeh.
  • Kenko 1.4x teleconverter - very rarely finds it's way into my camera bag even though it's quite small.

No comments:

Post a Comment